Are you a hygiene freak? Or particular about cleanliness? If you are looking from a health viewpoint, you need a urinary catheter. It is a device with flexible tubes that transfers the urine directly from the bladder to a drainage bag. A urinary catheter helps those patients whose medical condition does not allow them to pass the urine in the loo. Also, it helps those patients unable to urinate when they need it. When you select the urinary catheter, you need to choose the one that is most comfortable to you or your loved ones.
Types of Urinary Catheters
If you are buying a urinary catheter for the first time, it is essential to know what Types of urinary catheters are available.
- Straight tip catheters – is straight but they come with a flexible material? Hence, even with slight pressure, they bend according to your requirements. Are you or your loved ones the patients having the straight urinary tract? If so, you can opt for the Straight Tip Catheters with different sizes for men and women.
- Indwelling catheter – Foley catheter is the Indwelling catheter’s other name. It is a catheter that lies in the bladder. The indwelling catheter comes handy for a short time, as well as a long time. The indwelling catheter’s placement is similar to that of an intermittent container, but the insertion is on the left. The indwelling catheter is available in two types. The healthcare providers place then inside the bladder through urethral—suprapubic catheters through a hole insertion.
- Coude Tip Catheters – have the similarities to that of straight-up catheters. However, they have a straight bend or angle towards the tube’s end, which makes the way through all obstructions. Some of the coude tip catheters are available with a small bulb for navigation enhancement. Such catheters are thin, long, and flexible. Hence, they are adaptable to smaller openings
- Intermittent Catheters – is for a short period of duration. The health care providers connect the catheter’s tube with a filled drainage bag. As the hospitals use these bags daily, they empty them into the toilet. These catheters are safe and easy to use. Anyone can operate the intermittent catheters without any medical professional’s help. These catheters eliminate the infection threat and allow you to lead a healthy lifestyle.
- External Catheters– are the urinary catheters which the doctors, nurses, and other healthcare-related professionals use it for external purpose. External catheters are available in two types. They are condom catheters for males and females’ urethral inserts, which the nurses place them on the man’s private parts’ tip to drain the urine into a drainage bag. They carry this process for men with mental disabilities and other health issues. For women, the attendees or the nurses insert them in a woman’s urethra and seals the bladder’s end delicately.
- Closed System Kits – is free from all types of contamination. In other words, they are touchless. These urinary catheters are for self-use. You only need to remove the cap and fit the tube, joined with a urinary bag in the urethra. The collection bag collects the urine from your bladder. People with limited mobility can use this catheter while traveling.
Each urinary catheter has its use. It is all about the needs which make them the best in each individual’s perspective.