The gastric sleeve surgery, or also known as the vertical sleeve gastrectomy is a surgical procedure for weight-loss, which reduces the size of the stomach to about 15% of its original size. This involves the surgical removal of the greater curvature of the stomach and ending up in a tube-like structure. This type of surgery reduces the capacity of the stomach to hold and absorb food, which thereby results in the loss of weight. It also reduces the sensation of hunger.
Benefits of gastric sleeve surgery
Here we are going to list out the benefits of gastric sleeve in-depth:
The main goal of gastric sleeve surgery is to limit the intake of food and altering the rate of food absorption, which will, in turn, help in the reduction of weight. The procedure is done laparoscopically through incisions in the body with the aid of a camera. The surgery is irreversible.
The main benefits of gastrectomy are:
- The procedure helps in the loss of weight by restricting the intake of food by the patient.
- Reduction on the sensation of hunger and other cravings since a large part of the stomach. This causes a reduced release of hunger, causing hormone – ghrelin.
- After the surgery, you don’t have to worry about the digestive system iseffective; the system will be able to function normally.
- There need not be any fear of being mal-absorption of nutrients as the small intestine is not altered during the surgery.
- There is a lower chance of the development of ulcers with this gastric bypass surgery. The sleeve gastrectomy in Las Vegas can assure this.
- It is a much simpler procedure compared to the other gastric bypass or the duodenal switch surgery.
- The gastrectomy procedure does not require the insertion of any gastric band into the body.
- The procedure does not need any fills or adjustments.
- As the absorption of nutrients is not disturbed as the intestines are left untouched and therefore it
- Studies have shown that weight loss goals will be achieved at 60-70% at about two years.
- The gastrectomy is mostly suited for morbidly obese patients.
After the gastric sleeve surgery, patients are to go on a specially curated diet during the recovery of the surgery and is vital to ensure that the procedure is successful. The gastric sleeve surgery is a safe and effective surgical procedure with little to no mortality resolution and very little complication.