Prostate is a small gland that makes semen in male. Prostate cancer is a very common cancer among men after the age of 50. You are prone to get prostate cancer if you have the following conditions fulfilled according to Lazare Urology:
- You are a man above the age of 50 years
- Prostate cancer is most common among the African-American men, which is followed by Hispanics and Native American men and then by Asian-American men.
- If you have a family history of prostate cancer, you are more likely to have too
- If you regularly eat high fat diet, have high chances of prostate cancer.
If you are in one or more of the above categories, you should keep in mind the following symptoms which often indicate that you have prostate cancer:
- Frequent urination or at least the urge to urinate
- High frequency in night time urination
- If you spot blood in urine or in semen.
- If you have pain or burning sensation during urination
- If it is painful while you ejaculate
- If you have frequent pain in lower back, hips, pelvic or rectal area
- If you have constant dribbling of urine
You should consult a doctor as soon as possible if you have these symptoms. The doctor will guide you about the next course of action. Following tests will be conducted by the doctor to determine whether you have prostate cancer:
- Blood tests
The high level of PSA (Prostate-specific antigen) in blood in men reveals that he has prostate cancer. Your doctor will ask you to do it to determine the levels.
- Urine test
Your doctor might also ask you to give your urine sample to get it tested for any abnormality.
An ultrasound examination will be done by your doctor to take the pictures of the prostrate.
- Physical examination
In addition, you doctor will do a physical examination of your prostrate through your rectum to check its size, firmness and texture. The doctor will also determine whether there are any lumps or hard areas on your prostrate.