Coronavirus outbreak has witnessed a huge demand for masks. There are different kinds of masks available, which has confused buyers. However, people are looking for answers to what kind of masks is effective in preventing viral infection spread?
According to CDC routine use of masks among the general public is not recommended, even for airborne viruses. CDC recommended American citizens to wear masks from breathable cotton materials when in public because it is hard to maintain social distancing. Medical masks are the best option for trained medical professionals and virus-infected people.
Different types of masks
Surgical face masks
- These are loose-fitting disposable face masks, which can be easily purchased OTC.
- It is worn in the dentist’s office, operating rooms, monitoring surgical procedures, etc.
- They effectively block infected liquids but not capable to block tiny airborne particles.
- Complete protection is not provided because it fits loosely allowing leakage from the mask sides.
- Surgical masks need to be removed as well as disposed of with care to avoid getting inadvertently infected.
- Never wear surgical masks more than once.
- Wash your hands thoroughly, after removal and disposal.
- N95 filters out tiny particles more efficiently [95%] than surgical masks.
- Not necessarily designed for application in the healthcare setting. It can be used to protect from breathing matters like sawdust while performing home repairs.
- N95 is designed to fit closely so that air leakage from the sides is not possible.
- Medical professionals can use N95 as protection against pathogens but must never be used alone.
- Wearing N95 respirators for a long time makes you feel uncomfortable and hot.
- It has an exhalation valve for easy respiration.
On customearthpromos.com, you can buy KN95 masks in bulk for a good discount. The finish is smooth making the wearer feel comfortable. The material is reusable and has two replaceable filters.
- It has the same capabilities as N95 in protecting against viruses but is not disposable.
- The material used is synthetic or rubber and can be disinfected after every use.
- Not an ideal option for hospital use.
- Elastomeric respirators fit properly on the face.
- It has replaceable filters and can be bought online with ease.
PARPs or Powered Air Purifying Respirators
- PARPs have an advantage over the N95 masks, so many hospitals are choosing it.
- It looks like a loose-fitting helmet or hood.
- PARP is connected to a motor powered by a battery, which pushes air through the filter.
- Filtering capabilities are much better than N95 or elastomeric respirators.
- Wearing them for a long time is comfortable.
- Proper care and maintenance of PAPR are essential to ensure good performance all the time.
- Batteries need to be charged fully.
- Removal and disinfection need to be done with care.
- Outside the healthcare setting, PAPRs are an expensive option.
Generally, masks are effective when worn by sick people. During COVID-19, the general public can engage in standard hygiene practices like proper hand washing, avoiding touching surfaces or handshakes, maintain social distancing, and wearing cotton masks. Sick people need to wear masks all the time and stay away from their loved ones or quarantine themselves.